Your sales email need to be dynamic, deliver value, and convey the right message that will encourage a prospect to respond and ultimately buy.
SalesLoft allows you to create new email templates, send one-off messages, and email from a systematic cadence. Emails in SalesLoft give you the control draft and edit your message with your own personal touch all from the email window.
In this article, you will learn all about how to create and compose your emails, including:
- Edit the Subject Line
- Draft Your Email Message
- Create Hyperlinks
- Add Images & Gifs
- Edit the Font Style
- Control Open and Click Tracking
- Attach Files
- Dynamic Tags
First thing when crafting your email is to give it an appropriate subject line.
Your email subject line will show up in the recipient’s inbox. You want to make your subject line inviting and (if possible) amusing to encourage the recipient to open the message.
Enter your subject line in the Subject box near the top of your email window.
Best practice tip: Add dynamic tags to your subject line by dropping the tag into the body of your email and copy and paste the tag into your subject line.
The body of your email will be laid out here. Just like when you are composing an email from your regular email server, you can type your message in the display box and edit the message or add content from the email toolbar.
Linking text within your emails is a simple way to deliver more information to your recipient without adding URL eyesores to your carefully crafted message.
To create hyperlinks follow these steps:
- Select the word or phrase in your email message that you would like to link.
- Click the Link icon located on your Email Window Toolbar.
- Add the URL under To what URL should this link go to?
- Note the Text to Display. If you have selected text within the message, it should be in the dialogue box. If not, add the phrase you would like to link.
- Hit Insert Link.
Including images or GIFs to your email templates. provide visual information or make your emails more fun!
To add an image or of GIF to your email, follow these steps:
- Click the Picture icon.
- From the Insert Images pop up, click Choose File.
- Select the image from your files and hit Open. Or upload a local image file by copying and pasting the URL of the image you want to include.
- You can also insert a URL if you want your image to contain a link. Enter the link in the Hyperlink Images text box.
- Hit Insert Image.
Here's a quick walkthrough.
You can customize the font style in your emails. Each user can edit the font style, size, and color in their SalesLoft emails whether the text is from snippets, templates, one-off emails, or even their email signature in their profile.
SalesLoft admins are able to set a default font for the entire team. If there is a default team font style set, the individual user can override it when they set their own custom fonts in their snippets, emails, or templates. However, the SalesLoft admin(s) can control if the user has the ability to customize font style in the Roles & Permissions settings (check with your admin about this).
To edit the font style of your email, follow the steps below:
- Create a new email, snippet, or edit your signature.
- From the toolbar, select the font style, size, or color icons to change the style.
Clearing Font Formatting
If you have existing templates in a word processor, sometimes copying and pasting those into your SalesLoft email can carry over some unwanted source code or funky fonts with it. SalesLoft makes it easy to clear this up for clean, easy-to-read emails!
To remove formatting from the entire email draft you have two options:
Option 1: Enable Plain Text Mode
When you copy and paste text into your template that contains formatting, SalesLoft will warn you and give you the option to remove the formatting. Click Enable Plain Text Mode to remove all formatting.
Option 2: Remove Font Style from the Email Toolbar
Click the Remove Font Style button on the email toolbar to remove all of the text formatting in your email. Then you can edit the email to the style you want.
Things to Note: When keeping some formatting in your email, be sure to send yourself a preview to ensure all of the formatting shows up the correct way.
You can configure whether an email should track the number of times an email is opened (via pixel) as well as the number of times a recipient clicks the links within an email (via link-wrapping).
Click-tracking takes the recipient’s message to a special URL momentarily that registers their click. Then the message is immediately redirected to the intended destination. Spammers sometimes use link redirects to trick people into thinking they're going to a specific webpage. For this reason, some spam filters penalize emails that are tracking clicks on links.
If you are concerned about email deliverability or have existing poor email reputation your can improve the likelihood of email deliverability by turning off click-tracking
To turn on click and/or open tracking click the open and click buttons (the “eye” and “index finger pointing” icons) on the email toolbar to include a tracking code in the email template.
If click tracking is enabled, the icons will appear blue. When click tracking is disabled, the click tracking icon in the email compose pane toolbar is gray.
Things to Note: If you are setting open and click preferences on a template, the preference will persist whenever that template is used one off or within a cadence.
Click tracking cannot be enabled after the email has been sent, tracking should be enabled while composing the email.
Personalize your emails by attaching playbooks, pricing plans, and other files or documents to your SalesLoft emails.
Attachments can be added to and copied from the follow file types: .pdf, .png, .jpg and .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, and .pptx file types, with maximum of 10mb per email sent.
To add an attachment to your email, follow these steps:
- From the Email Toolbar, select Attach Files (paper clip icon).
- Your documents folder will pop up. Find and select the document you want.
- Hit Open.
Dynamic tags help you to personalize your emails at scale. Rather than repeatedly entering data about a person or account, dynamic tags allow you to personalize your emails by inserting profile information from a person or account record.
Where does the dynamic tag get its information from? Dynamic tag information pulls from individual or account profile pages in SalesLoft. Any information imported from Salesforce or a CSV that has been configured to a SalesLoft field can be used in a dynamic tag.
Types of Dynamic Tags
- Person Tags: Information related to an individual person. Any information is pulled from the profile information fields. Most common tags include First Name and Title.
- Account Tags: Information related to an account. Any information related to the account is pulled from the profile information fields. Most common tags include Account Name and Industry.
- Custom Tags: Tags are not limited to the out of box profile information listed in SalesLoft. You can also add to your emails with custom fields. Any field that is important to you can become a custom field (from account revenue to a favorite sports team). Custom fields are added by SalesLoft Admins in the Salesforce Field Configuration.
- Time Tags: Time tags make setting meeting times simple. Rather than going into every email with a specific date, you time tag allows you to send emails consistently with a day of the week listed. The most common Time Tag is n days from now, just enter a number where the “n” is, and your dynamic tag will take care of the rest.
- My Tags: My Tags are best used in Team Templates. They place the sender’s information throughout the email. The most common My Tags are My First Name and My Email Address.
- Misc: The Misc section of your dynamic tags contains an opt out link that you can add to your emails. The opt out link removes the person from further email communication.
To insert a dynamic tag, follow these steps:
- From your email window, click on the </> dropdown from the toolbar.
- Scroll through the list of available tags, and select the option that fits your need.