The SalesLoft Dialer is designed to increase your call efficiency and effectiveness with features that make your sales process smarter. But before you hit the phones, you need to be sure your Dialer is set up properly.
The majority of the Dialer setup takes place in the Calls Settings page which you will access from your Personal Settings. Navigate to the Settings by clicking your name in the upper right corner. Then, click Settings in the dropdown menu. Once you've gone to the Settings pages, select the Calls page from the left side menu.
In this article, we will walk through how to set up your Dialer, including:
- Your Assigned Number
- Enter Your Forwarding Number
- Custom Caller ID
- Add Pass Through Number
- Enable Click to Call
- Enable Inbound Calling
- Record Drop-In Voicemail Messages
- Enable Your Microphone
If you run into any technical problems with the Dialer, check out our Dialer Troubleshooting Guide for more help.
If you're wondering whether or not you have Dialer access, there is a quick way to figure that out (besides asking your admin).
SalesLoft users with access to the Dialer will have an assigned phone number listed in the Call Settings. This phone number has been provisioned for your Dialer access by your team admin and will allow you to call People using the SalesLoft platform.
The assigned number will be in a grey text box, meaning you can't edit it. When you call prospects using the Dialer, the assigned number will show up as your Caller ID number (unless you are using LocalDial or set a custom Caller ID).
If you do not see a phone number listed, reach out to your team admin so they can assign your phone number.
SalesLoft can receive incoming calls outside of the SalesLoft platform as long as you provide a forwarding phone number — like a cell phone or desk line — in your Calls Settings.
With a forwarding number in place, a call from a Person calling your provisioned number will be redirected to the phone line you enter as your forwarding number so you can accept the incoming call.
Things to Note:
- You must enter a direct phone line as your forwarding number, like a cell phone or landline. Phone numbers that require extensions will not work.
- Include your country code when setting your forwarding number. For example, if your forwarding number is a US number, enter +1 followed by the telephone number, as in the screenshot above.
- You can answer incoming calls within the platform itself. Learn more in our About Inbound Calls Knowledge Base article.
To set up your forwarding number, follow these steps:
- Go to your Personal Settings.
- Select the Calls page. Under Phone Settings, you will see the greyed out Outbound Number. Your outbound number has been assigned to you by an admin and is provisioned from SalesLoft’s third-party provider, Twilio.
- Below the Outbound number, you will find the Forwarding Number box. Enter the phone number that you would like your calls forwarded to.
- Click Save.
Today, most people can see who they are receiving a call from thanks to Caller ID. Anyone guilty of screening their calls can admit you typically answer a phone number you recognize, while unknown numbers get ignored and are left to leave voicemails.
When you make calls through SalesLoft, your Caller ID defaults to your assigned phone number. However, that doesn’t mean you are stuck displaying that number. If your customers are familiar with your personal cell phone number, or you would prefer People to see your desk line, you can edit your SalesLoft Caller ID to reflect the number you want.
Things to Note:
- A verified number cannot be used by any other user.
- LocalDial will override the Custom Caller ID.
Follow these steps to set up a Custom Caller ID:
- Access your Settings in the top right corner.
- Under Personal Settings, go to the Calls page.
- Below your Assigned Number you will see a blue link that says Show a different number on Caller ID. Click the link.
- Enter a number in the Caller ID box.
- After you enter the number you will be required to verify the number. Click the blue Verify button.
- You will receive a call to the number you entered. Dial in the on-screen code in order to verify you have access to the phone.
- After you verify your preferred Caller ID number, it will appear as your Caller ID on outbound calls.
To revert the Caller ID using your provisioned Assigned Number, select Remove.
If you remove or change your Caller ID and revert back to the same number later, you do not have to verify the phone number again. Simply re-enter the number and hit Verify to reset the Caller ID.
Call Pass Through allows you to use a landline, like your office phone, or a cell phone. Calls will still initiate from the SalesLoft platform, but they will be passed (get it?) from the Dialer to whichever line you prefer.
To learn more about how to enable Call Pass Through, check out our Pass Through Calls article.
Click to Call brings the functionality of the SalesLoft Dialer into your Salesforce account with the click of a button.
Follow these instructions to enable Click to Call:
1. Go to your Calls Settings.
2. Scroll to the Click to Call Enabled? option.
3. Select the checkbox.
4. Refresh your SalesLoft page.
5. Open Salesforce. You will now see the blue SalesLoft Call button next to any phone number. Click the number to open the Dialer.
For more information on making calls from Salesforce, check out our The Dialer in Salesforce section.
Enable Inbound Calling
Inbound Calling allows you to accept calls from People you have previously called directly in your browser. To set up Inbound Calling you will need to do the following:
- Download the SalesLoft Chrome Extension.
- Click Inbound Calling Enabled? from your Call Settings.
To learn more about Inbound Calling and the steps to set it up, check out Getting Started with Inbound Calling.
You can pre-record voicemails from your Calls Settings. Once messages are recorded, you can drop them in your prospect's voicemail box when using the Dialer.
To learn more about how to add a new drop-in voicemail message, check out our Drop-In Voicemails Recordings article.
Before you start using the Dialer, you will need to enable the microphone settings within Google Chrome.
A dialogue box should prompt you to enable the microphone the first time you open the Dialer. Click Allow. If you don't click Allow, SalesLoft won't be able to make any phone calls from the Dialer.
You'll see a camera symbol in the URL bar. When you click that, you will be able to continue allowing SalesLoft to access your microphone.
If you are not given the option to Allow SalesLoft to Use your Microphone, follow the instructions listed below to enable your microphone:
- Open your Google Chrome web browser.
- At the top right of your browser, click the three vertical dots Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the listed settings and click Advanced.
- Under the Privacy and Security section, click Content Settings.
- Scroll down and select Microphone.
- Click on Manage Exceptions and make sure SalesLoft is labeled as allowed.
- Test your audio settings to ensure everything is running smoothly prior to making your first call.
If you run into any technical problems with the Dialer, check out our Microphones and Headsets article for more help.