After you've created your cadence and added people to it, you're ready to carry out your sales process and run your steps! Cadences in SalesLoft are designed to make the execution of your sales process efficient, flexible, and dynamic.
In this article you will learn the following how to use the cadence side panel and run cadences:
- Start Your Cadence
- The Cadence Sidebar Layout
- Sort People within a Cadence
- Cadence Actions from the Sidebar
- Run an Email Step
- Run a Call Step
- Run an Other Step
Once it’s time to complete your cadence actions, there are a few ways to launch your cadence from within SalesLoft.
Start your cadence from any of the following options:
Cadence To-Do List:
- On the SalesLoft Home Page is also known as the SalesLoft Dashboard.
- In the bottom right of your Dashboard, you’ll find the Cadences To-Do list. This is a complete break down of the cadences that you currently need to take action on. If you have a Daily People Target on a cadence, you will see a gray Add Prospects button under that particular cadence, reminding you to add people to the cadence.
- To run a step from the Cadence To-Do list, find the cadence and step type you want to take action on.
- Next to the step name, you will see a blue Run Step button. Click Run Step.
- The cadence sidebar will expand on the right side of your window. You immediately will be directed to the profile page of the first person listed in the cadence step will and prompted to take your cadence step action.
Run A Cadence (Rocket Ship Icon):
- In the upper right corner of SalesLoft, click the Rocket Ship Icon to Run a Cadence.
- A list of open cadence actions will appear. Click Run Step next to the action you want to take.
From a Person’s Profile Page:
- Go to a Person’s Profile Page in SalesLoft.
- If the person is currently on a cadence step, you will see it listed in the Cadences Panel located on the right side of the person’s profile page.
- Select the Step listed. It will be listed as "the day: step number: step type".
When you are running your cadence, all actions will come from the cadence sidebar. That being said, the sidebar contains basic contact information that is designed to keep you on task.
From the cadence sidebar you can quickly see the following:
- Person’s Name
- Person’s Role
- Person’s Company
Sometimes next to the person’s name, you may see one of the following icons:
- Orange dot: This person has previously replied to an email.
- Red Phone icon: This person does not have a phone number listed in their profile.
- Red Mail Icon: This person does not have an email address listed in their profile.
Before starting your step, you can sort everyone on the step so you can prioritize the people listed to fit your most pressing needs.
To sort, just select the three-line menu at the top of the workflow pane. Select the option that you would like to sort by. Alternate between ascending or descending order by selecting the sorting option a second time. You can sort contacts by:
- Due On: Prioritize steps based on the due date of that cadence step.
- Last Name: Alphabetize your to-do lists by the Person’s last name.
- Company: Alphabetize your to-do lists by the Company name.
- Starred: If you have starred a person in SalesLoft, you can prioritize your cadence list by the people who have been starred.
- Replied: To prioritize steps based off of prospects that have replied to your emails.
- Timezone Avoid calling people currently outside of office hours based on their timezone. Steps are ordered first by in-office status, then east to west. People without a time zone are displayed last.
- Activity: Prioritize by the people who have completed the most activity (whether that’s email opens, completed calls, etc.).
- Missing Email: These people do not have an email address in their profile information.
For easy navigation and actions from the cadence panel, hover over the contact in your step. Let's delve into the different actions you can take:
Opens the log box and step action.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel.
- Click Open.
- The cadence step actions will open including:
- The profile page of the person
- The cadence action box (email window, call log box, or Other step log box)
- If the step is a call step, the dialer will also open
Goes to the person’s profile page.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel
- Click Profile.
- The person’s profile page will open up in your SalesLoft window.
Opens the person’s Salesforce lead or contact record.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel.
- Select Salesforce.
- The Salesforce window will open in another tab.
Skip this Step
To skip a contact on a step:
- Click the Ellipses (three horizontal dots)
- Select Skip this Step.
- The person’s name on the cadence list will fade away and a pop-up notification will appear to inform you the step has been skipped.
Remove From Cadence
If a person no longer needs to be on the particular cadence, you can remove them from the Cadence Workflow Panel:
- Click the Ellipses (three horizontal dots).
- Select Remove from Cadence.
- The person’s name on the cadence list will be removed and a pop-up notification will appear to inform you the person has been taken off the cadence.
Your cadence email steps allow you to send a series of templated emails to individual recipients.
To run your email step, follow these instructions:
- To get started, click Run Step button next to the email step from your Dashboard.
- The workflow side panel pane will appear. Sort your list as you'd like using the sorting features at the top. Click on a contact to begin sending emails.
- When you select Run Step from the Cadences To-Do List, you will go directly to the profile page of the first person listed on the step, and the email box will appear.
- You have the option to Edit the content of the message if desired based off profile page information. Use the information in the person’s profile or integrations like Owler or Crystal to personalize your email. To quickly revert back to the original email, use the Discard Changes button at the bottom.
- At the top of each individual email, you can scroll through all of the emails on the step, view how many you have personalized, and for more view options: you can collapse, expand the message box, or close it.
- Send your email. From your cadence you have a number of sending options:
- Send & Edit Next: will send the email, log it, and open the email for the following person in your cadence list.
- Calendar Icon: Edit your email and send at a later time.
- Send All: Send your emails in bulk immediately.
- Schedule All: Schedule your emails to be sent in bulk
Here’s a walkthrough:
Your cadence call steps allow you to efficiently execute a series of sales calls. Rather than digging for contact information, fumbling with a phone, struggling with what to say on a voicemail, and trying to track down a notepad for call notes, all of these trifling tasks are made seamless and easy from your call step.
Running a call step functions in a similar fashion to an email step. To run your call step, follow these instructions:
- Access the Cadence To-Do Panel.
- Find the phone step you want to take action on. Click Run Step.
- When you select Run Step, the cadence to-do panel will list the prospects who need to be dialed. Once you click which prospect you would like to start with, you will be directed to their profile page, and the dialer will appear on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Make your call.
- Log your Disposition & Sentiment.
- Select the appropriate log option:
- Log and complete: Saves your call activity, moves your prospect to the next step in the cadence, and queues the next person on the call step.
- Log only: Saves your call activity but leaves your prospect on the current call step, then queues the next person on the call step.
- Complete only: Moves your prospect to the next step in your cadence without saving your call notes, then queues the next person on the call step.
- Success: Logs your call activity as a successful touch, moves your prospect to the next step in the cadence, and queues the next person on the call step
- Minimize the log pane and move on to the next call using the steps above. You can always return to the log pane to save your call later.
Here's a quick walkthrough.
While phone and email may be the primary components of your sales process, alternative touch points and methods can be used within your cadence. That's why we have created the Other Step.
The sky is the limit with other steps. Add a social touch. Send baked goods or swag. Research the company you’re prospecting. Whatever practice you want to add to your process outside of the standard email and call steps can go into your other step.
To run your other step, follow the steps below:
- Select Preview and Run next to the other step on your Cadences To-Do List or Run Step next to the Other step listed in your Cadence Workflow Panel.
- The profile page of the first person in your cadence list will appear along with the Other Step Log Box that contains instructions for your other step in the bottom right corner.
- Complete your other step. Then log your other step like you would check a list off after you’ve completed the action. You can execute your other step in two ways:
- Log and Complete: Save your activity on an individual and move you to the next person on the other step.
- Complete All: To complete all cadence actions in bulk.
Here’s a walkthrough: