Cadences in SalesLoft are designed to make the execution of your sales process efficient, flexible, and dynamic. After you create your cadence and add people to it, you're ready to carry out your sales process and run your cadence steps!
In this article, you will learn how to use the cadence side panel and run cadences, including:
- Start Your Cadence
- The Cadence Sidebar Layout
- Sort People within a Cadence
- Cadence Actions from the Sidebar
- Run an Email Step
- Run a Call Step
- Run an Other Step
- Run an Integration Step
There are a few ways to launch your cadence from within SalesLoft.
Start your cadence from any of the following options:
The Cadences To-Do List shows the cadences that have activity to complete.
To run a step from the Cadence To-Do list, follow these intrustions:
- Go to the Cadences To-Do list in the bottom right of your Dashboard, aka the SalesLoft home page.
- Find the cadence and step type you want to take action on.
- Next to the step name, you will see a blue Run Step button. Click Run Step.
- The cadence sidebar will expand on the right side of your window. You will be re-directed to the profile page of the first person listed in the cadence step will and prompted to take your cadence step action.
Run A Cadence (Rocket Ship Icon):
- In the upper right corner of SalesLoft, click the Rocket Ship Icon to Run a Cadence.
- A list of open cadence actions will appear. Click Run Step next to the action you want to take.
From a Person’s Profile Page:
- Go to a Person’s Profile Page in SalesLoft.
- If the person is currently on a cadence step, you will see it listed in the Cadences Panel located on the right side of the person’s profile page.
- Select the Step listed. It will be listed as "the day: step number: step type".
When you run your cadence, you will work through each step from the cadence sidebar.
You can sort the your cadence steps by one of three options:
- Cadence Name: Breaks down each step due to be run within a particular cadence
- Cadence Priority: Sorts steps based on the cadence priority as defined in the Cadence Settings.
- Step Type: Sorts steps by the type of action that you will execute: Email, Phone, Other, and Custom.
Steps will be listed in alphabetical order. Select the icon to the right of the sort dropdown to sort the list in ascending/descending order.
When you click Run Step in the cadence sidebar, each person with a step due will be listed on a tile. Each tile contains the following information:
- Person’s Name: The name of the person
- Person’s Role: The person's title or role at their company
- Person’s Account: The person's account, or company, name
- Opens: the number of emails opened by the person
- Clicks: the number of email links that have been clicked by the person
- Replies: the number of emails the person has replied to
Sometimes next to the person’s name, you may see one of the following person icons:
- Orange dot: This person has previously replied to an email.
- Red Phone icon: This person does not have a phone number listed in their profile.
- Red Mail Icon: This person does not have an email address listed in their profile.
You can sort the people listed in the cadence sidebar to view them in the order that makes the works the best for you and your sales process.
To sort, just select the three-line menu at the top of the workflow pane. Select the option that you would like to sort by. Alternate between ascending or descending order by selecting the sorting option a second time.
You can sort people by:
- Due On: Prioritize steps based on the due date of that cadence step.
- Last Name: Alphabetize your to-do lists by the Person’s last name.
- Account: Alphabetize your to-do lists by the account name.
- Starred: If you have starred a person in SalesLoft, you can prioritize your cadence list by the people who have been starred.
- Replied: To prioritize steps based off of prospects that have replied to your emails.
- Timezone Avoid calling people currently outside of office hours based on their timezone. Steps are ordered first by in-office status, then east to west. People without a time zone are displayed last.
- Activity: Prioritize by the people who have completed the most activity (whether that’s email opens, completed calls, etc.).
- Missing Email: These people do not have an email address in their profile information.
Cadence actions offer additional tasks within the cadence side panel. To view your cadence actions, hover over a person's name from the list of people running that cadence step. Let's delve into the different actions you can take:
Opens the log box and step action.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel.
- Click Open.
- The cadence step actions will open including:
- The profile page of the person
- The cadence action box (email window, call log box, or Other step log box)
- If the step is a call step, the dialer will also open
Goes to the person’s profile page.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel
- Click Profile.
- The person’s profile page will open up in your SalesLoft window.
Opens the person’s Salesforce lead or contact record.
- Hover over the Person’s name in the Cadence Workflow Panel.
- Select Salesforce.
- The Salesforce window will open in another tab.
Skip this Step
To skip a contact on a step:
- Click the Ellipses (three horizontal dots)
- Select Skip this Step.
- The person’s name on the cadence list will fade away and a pop-up notification will appear to inform you the step has been skipped.
Remove From Cadence
If a person no longer needs to be on the particular cadence, you can remove them from the Cadence Workflow Panel:
- Click the Ellipses (three horizontal dots).
- Select Remove from Cadence.
- The person’s name on the cadence list will be removed and a pop-up notification will appear to inform you the person has been taken off the cadence.
Your cadence email steps allow you to send a series of templated emails to individual recipients.
To run your email step, follow these instructions:
- To get started, click Run Step button next to the email step from your Dashboard.
- The workflow side panel pane will appear. Sort your list as you'd like using the sorting features at the top. Click on a contact to begin sending emails.
- When you select Run Step from the Cadences To-Do List, you will go directly to the profile page of the first person listed on the step, and the email box will appear.
- You have the option to Edit the content of the message if desired based off profile page information. Use the information in the person’s profile or integrations like Owler or Crystal to personalize your email. To quickly revert back to the original email, use the Discard Changes button at the bottom.
- At the top of each individual email, you can scroll through all of the emails on the step, view how many you have personalized, and for more view options: you can collapse, expand the message box, or close it.
- Send your email. Emails sent from a cadence will log in SalesLoft and Salesforce. From your cadence you have a number of sending options:
- Send & Edit Next: will send the email, log it and open the email for the following person in your cadence list.
- Calendar Icon: Edit your email and send at a later time.
- Send All: Send your emails in bulk immediately.
- Schedule All: Schedule your emails to be sent in bulk
- Your Time Zone: Scheduled emails will send at the designated time according to your set time zone.
- Person's Time Zone: SalesLoft will detect when to send the scheduled email based on the Person's time zone.
Here’s a walkthrough:
Your cadence call steps allow you to efficiently execute a series of sales calls. Rather than digging for contact information, fumbling with a phone, struggling with what to say on a voicemail, and trying to track down a notepad for call notes, all of these trifling tasks are made seamless and easy from your call step.
Running a call step functions in a similar fashion to an email step. To run your call step, follow these instructions:
- Access the Cadence To-Do Panel.
- Find the phone step you want to take action on. Click Run Step.
- When you select Run Step, the cadence to-do panel will list the prospects who need to be dialed. Once you click which prospect you would like to start with, you will be directed to their profile page, and the dialer will appear on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Make your call.
- Log your Disposition & Sentiment.
- Select the appropriate log option:
- Log and complete: Saves your call activity to SalesLoft and Salesforce, moves your prospect to the next step in the cadence, and queues the next person on the call step.
- Log only: Saves your call activity to SalesLoft and Salesforce but leaves your prospect on the current call step, then queues the next person on the call step.
- Complete only: Moves your prospect to the next step in your cadence without saving your call notes, then queues the next person on the call step.
- Success: Logs your call activity as a successful touch, moves your prospect to the next step in the cadence, and queues the next person on the call step
- Minimize the log pane and move on to the next call using the steps above. You can always return to the log pane to save your call later.
Here's a quick walkthrough.
While phone and email may be the primary components of your sales process, alternative touch points and methods can be used within your cadence. That's why we have created the Other Step.
The sky is the limit with other steps. Add a social touch. Send baked goods or swag. Research the account you’re prospecting. Whatever practice you want to add to your process outside of the standard email and call steps can go into your other step.
To run your other step, follow the steps below:
- Select Preview and Run next to the other step on your Cadences To-Do List or Run Step next to the Other step listed in your Cadence Workflow Panel.
- The profile page of the first person in your cadence list will appear along with the Other Step Log Box that contains instructions for your other step in the bottom right corner.
- Complete your other step.
- Log your other step like you would check a list off after you’ve completed the action. If you are connected to your Salesforce account, the other step will log there as well. You can execute your other step in two ways:
- Log and Complete: Save your activity on an individual and move you to the next person on the other step.
- Complete All: To complete all cadence actions in bulk.
Here’s a walkthrough:
Integration steps bring SalesLoft's most powerful integrations into your consistent sales process.
Currently SalesLoft offers the following integrations steps. Click the link to learn more how to run each integration step:
- ZipWhip: send out text messages to your prospects.
- LinkedIn Sales Navigator: take one of the following four LinkedIn Sales Navigator actions within your cadence.
- Research: Read up on your prospect’s recent LinkedIn news or activities so you are familiar with your prospect and their company prior to your interactions.
- Introduction: Get introduced to a prospect through a mutual connection.
- Connection Request: Send a LinkedIn invitation to another person.
- InMail: Message the prospect via LinkedIn InMail.