Salesforce Sync is the simplest and most reliable way to keep your Salesforce CRM and sales communication platform entirely in sync. The sync works in near real-time, and administrators have the ability to decide which application “wins” when syncing each field.
Salesforce Sync can sync People fields in Cadence with Lead and/or Contact fields in Salesforce. Salesforce Sync also maps Company and Account for complete parity with CRM.
In this article we will walk through:
- Requirements and Expectations Before You Begin
- Enabling Salesforce Sync
- Setting Sync Frequency
- Sync Historical Opportunity Data
- Sync Logs
- User Management
- Salesforce Settings
- Must have Salesforce Professional edition with REST API access or Salesforce Enterprise edition.
- You must have overall Salesforce administrator privileges (or full object or field-level security permissions, i.e. “modify,” “edit,” “create” and “delete”) for the user acting as the Main Salesforce Connection. The Main Salesforce Connection is used by SalesLoft to make all Salesforce Sync updates for Leads and Contacts on behalf of this SalesLoft main connector, while also acting as a back-up connection for Activities if a team member's individual Salesforce connection becomes disconnected. (Please note: Currently, activity logging still relies on the original individual, user-specific connection.)
- Be aware of your API limit. You only have a certain number of API Calls per day, based on your Salesforce edition and number of seats. You can read more about how to find your API Call limit and how to change it here.
Salesforce Sync sets the main connection between your team's SalesLoft account and Salesforce account. Once Salesforce Sync is enabled, and you've mapped the necessary fields, the data flowing between SalesLoft and Salesforce will remain in sync.
The enable Salesforce Sync, follow these steps:
- From your dashboard, click on your name and select Team Settings.
- Navigate to the Salesforce Connector section in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the “Sync section at the top right. Next, click the toggle at the top of the screen to enable Salesforce Sync.
- You’ll get a pop-up asking you to select the Salesforce Connector, which will be your team's Main Connection used for Salesforce Sync. This connection uses a team member's (usually an admin’s) Salesforce username to make all updates in both SalesLoft and Salesforce on behalf of each SalesLoft team member. If a team member's individual Salesforce connection becomes disconnected, their data will still flow back and forth between Salesforce and SalesLoft through this Salesforce Connector. (Please note: currently, activity logging still relies on the original individual, user-specific connection.)
- Click the drop-down menu and select the SalesLoft user for your main Salesforce Connector (typically, this will be you or the main admin on your account, as outlined in the Requirements section above).
Once sync has been enabled you can view and edit your sync frequency. This is how often SalesLoft connects to your Salesforce instance, looks for changes, and updates field information through API calls. Syncing to Salesforce occurs based off of the mapping set in your Salesforce Field Configuration.
Things to Note: The more frequently we connect to Salesforce, the more API calls we use. As mentioned at the start of setup, you only have a certain number of API Calls per day, based on your Salesforce edition and number of seats.
Since API calls are made to the objects mapped in your Salesforce field configuration, you can adjust how often SalesLoft Sync will occur for each object: Account, Leads, Contacts, and/or Opportunities. Our default sync time is set to check every 10 minutes. You can reset the sync frequency to once a minute, check every 5 minutes, or every 10 minutes.
After you have set the sync frequency for Opportunities, a link will appear below to Sync Historical Opportunity Data.
Click Sync Historical Opportunity Data to select the date range (up to four weeks) of past opportunities that you would like to be displayed in SalesLoft. After saving, a message will confirm the begin of the sync process.
You have full visibility into all sync actions taken by viewing the Sync Logs. This can be reached from the Salesforce Connector > Sync setup page, by clicking the View Salesforce Sync logs. Here, you can see the timestamp, source, type and status of each sync action.
Click any object to go to the external record (Lead, Contact or Person) associated with the action, and you can filter by a specific Lead, Contact or Person to see all sync actions associated with that record by clicking the Filter icon next to the object you want to see.
User management matches the SalesLoft user to the Salesforce user. Linking SalesLoft users to the appropriate Salesforce user clearly illustrates who has worked on or owns specific records and actions between the two platforms. Also, setting users allows Automation Rules regarding Salesforce owner to perform correctly.
In order to set and edit your User Management settings, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to Salesforce Connector in your Team Settings and go to the User Management tab.
- You will see the First Name, Last Name, and Email Address of each SalesLoft user on your team. Select the ellipsis icon on the right side of the row.
- Click Edit. A box will appear to Select Salesforce User for (User).
- Type in the complete or part of the users Salesforce email address. Hit Search.
- Find the email address for the user and click the email address.
- Click Save.
Along with syncing to your team’s Salesforce account, you can designate other Salesforce settings that will apply to your team.
Any activity logged in SalesLoft also logs in Salesforce by default. If you would like to disable logging a specific type of activity or all activity for any reason, you can. Follow the instructions below to disable activity logging.
- Navigate to Salesforce Connector in your Team Settings and go to the Settings tab.
- Under Activity Logging you will see checkboxes next to the following options:
- Enable Call Logging
- Enable Email Logging
- Enable Email Reply Logging
- Enable Note Logging
Linking People to Salesforce
When a person is added to SalesLoft manually or from a CSV file their record needs to be linked to their Lead or Contact record in Salesforce so their activity logs correctly. SalesLoft will check the user’s Salesforce instance for the person’s record based off of the settings designated under Linking People to Salesforce.
There are four options to link people to Salesforce:
- Contact, fallback to Lead (Default): Majority of people records in your Salesforce fall under Contacts, but you also use Leads.
- Lead, fallback to Contact: Most people records in your Salesforce fall under Leads, but occasionally you use Contacts.
- Contact: If you only work with Contacts
- Lead: If you only work with Leads
- Do not link: If you are not using Salesforce and do not require linking at all.