Salesforce has become a primary hub for most companies’ customer management needs.
But, let’s be honest, the amount of data Salesforce provides can be a bit overwhelming to the average user. In order to maintain the most accurate and up-to-date information, you could find yourself spending a portion of your day updating fields and logging completed tasks.
SalesLoft makes managing Salesforce a whole lot easier. By connecting your SalesLoft and Salesforce accounts you can import Leads or Contacts and run your activities from the engagement platform that will take care of the logging for you. This way all of your data stays up-to-date and you spend a fraction of the time keeping up with your Salesforce account.
In this article, we will break down the SalesLoft and Salesforce integration, including:
- Connecting to Your Salesforce Account
- Install Connect for Salesforce
- The Connect for Salesforce Side Panel
- Click to Call in Salesforce
- Loft an Email in Salesforce
- Salesforce Activity Logs
Before you can take advantage of SalesLoft's Salesforce integration, you must connect your Salesforce account to your SalesLoft account. This is required in order for activities you log in SalesLoft to sync to Salesforce as completed Tasks records.
To connect to your Salesforce account, follow these steps:
1. Click the dropdown menu under your name and select Settings. Then select CRM.
2. Click Connect. A dropdown menu will appear.
3. Select one of the following options based on the Salesforce instance you are connecting to:
- Connect to Salesforce
- Connect to Salesforce Sandbox
- Things to Note: Connecting to Salesforce Sandbox is best for testing connections prior to your team going live with SalesLoft. We do not recommend reverting back to a Salesforce Sandbox once your team has connected to their live Salesforce accounts.
3. Based on the connection option you choose, you will be directed to your Salesforce login page. Log in to connect your SalesLoft account to Salesforce.
4. Once you are connected, you will see the Salesforce username you are connected to on your CRM Settings page.
If you would like to disconnect from the account you're currently connected to, click Disconnect. The connection will be removed and the CRM page will revert back to its original setting.
SLU: Personal Settings CRM (Video)
Want to know how to set up your SalesLoft CRM Settings, but prefer a video format? Visit SalesLoft University to see the Connecting Your SalesLoft Account to Your CRM video tutorial.
Before you Loft emails, view SalesLoft People information, and execute Cadences from your Salesforce account, you need to install the SalesLoft Google Chrome Extension.
You can download the Chrome extension from the Downloads page under your SalesLoft Personal Settings or click the link here.
After the extension has been installed, you will gain access to SalesLoft features within your Salesforce instance!
While there are many SalesLoft actions you can take on Lead and Contact records using Connect for Salesforce, a large portion of the functionality occurs within the Connect for Salesforce side panel. From the side panel, you can view SalesLoft Person info and run Cadences.
To access the Connect for Salesforce side panel, click on the SalesLoft logo on the right-hand side of the page. The side panel will appear on the right side of your page.
If you wish to close the panel, simply select the X in the upper right corner of the panel.
SalesLoft’s Dialer lets you call from wherever you work, including your Salesforce instance. With our click-to-call function, reaching out to Leads and Contacts is even simpler. All you have to do is click the Call button next to a Person’s phone number. Once you’ve clicked Call, the Dialer functions exactly like it does in-app. You can enable LocalDial to drive higher connect rates as well as drop-in voicemail recordings.
Things to Note:
- Click to Call does not work when Salesforce is in accessibility mode. You can temporarily disable accessibility mode to use the click-to-dial functionality.
- It is not possible to add the button to custom phone fields in SFDC Classic because they don’t have an ID or class that can distinguish them from other custom field types.
- Manual Import must be enabled in the Team General Settings in order to add People to SalesLoft via the Dialer extension if they do not already exist in SalesLoft.
Before you call from your Salesforce records with ease, you need to enable the functionality. Follow these steps:
- From your SalesLoft account, click your name in the upper right corner and go to your Settings.
- Click the Calls tab.
- Below Phone Settings, check the box next to Click to Call Enabled?
- Hit Save.
Connect for Salesforce allows you to leverage the power and features of SalesLoft email and templates without leaving the Salesforce record. Quickly email Leads or Contacts by using a template so you use the same consistent messaging, with the added benefit of tracking metrics.
Speaking of tracking, using the Loft It feature logs and tracks your emails in SalesLoft (and Salesforce).
When composing emails in Connect for Salesforce, you may add CC or BCC recipients by clicking the CC/BCC link in the upper right hand corner of the email compose pane. Enter multiple email addresses in the CC or BCC fields by separating them with a comma.
To send an email from Salesforce, follow these steps:
- Go to the Lead or Contact record.
- Click the blue Loft It button next to the Person’s email address. The email window will appear in the bottom right corner.
- Compose your message. Add templates or snippets by selecting the Insert button in the bottom right corner of the email window.
- Send the Cadence email using one of the following options:
- Send: sends the email to the Person and logs the email in SalesLoft and Salesforce.
- Schedule Send: the Calendar icon will allow you to schedule the email to send later. When scheduling a step in advance, you can set the emails to go at a certain time according to your time zone or the time zone of the Person receiving the email.
- Send All: sends the emails to each Person listed on the Cadence step and logs the email in SalesLoft and Salesforce.
- Schedule Send All: the Calendar icon will allow you to schedule all of the emails in the Cadence step to send at a later time. When scheduling a step in advance, you can set the emails to go at a certain time according to your time zone or the time zone of the Person receiving the email.
Once you begin completing your activities, you want the assurance that the activity is correctly being logged to Salesforce. Unfortunately, log errors happen due to one reason or another.
The good news is that we provide you with Salesforce Notifications on the top navigation bar to keep you aware in the event that any activities fail to log. Also, this shows your Salesforce status — whether you are connected or disconnected to your Salesforce instance.
Where is this notification? It's represented by the lightning bolt icon on the top nav menu. If an activity has failed to log to Salesforce, you will see a notification on the lightning bolt icon. Failed activities display an error message, and allow you to retry the failed activity.
To view your failed Salesforce activity logs, follow these steps:
- Click the lightning bolt icon in the upper right corner.
- A dropdown menu will appear with your most recent Salesforce activity failures. The failure will include the activity that failed and an error message for why the failure occurred. Use the error message to address the issue. If necessary, escalate the error to your team admin.
- Once the error has been addressed, click Retry to attempt to log the activity again.
If you have many error messages, you can click View All at the bottom of the dropdown menu. This will show all of the failing Salesforce activities that have occurred.
- Use the Filter & Sort button to filter by the failed activities of:
- A specific team member
- Your entire team
- Just your own
- You may also sort the list by:
- The user's last name
- The SalesLoft Person's last name, and who the record will log to in Salesforce
- The subject of the Salesforce activity
- The error message
- Click on Retry all team (past month) to attempt to sync all failing activities from the past month.