Accounts in SalesLoft allow you to see a wide arrange of account details, stats, and activity between you and all of the contacts that are a part of that business. This way you can clearly track your sales process with that particular business and decide which action to take next. So SalesLoft accounts are crucial to anyone using an Account-Based Sales approach.
But before you can dive into the account profile page and glean valuable information, you must be sure that account exists in SalesLoft by creating or importing the account.
Depending on your team’s Account Management settings, accounts may be created when a new person is added based off of the basic company information. If you want to be thorough and add company information first, and then add the right people to the account, SalesLoft gives you multiple ways to create accounts.
Things to Note: SalesLoft requires that ALL accounts include the company name and domain in order to import accounts.
In this article, you will learn all about how to import accounts, including:
- Add an Account
- Import Accounts from Salesforce
- Complete Your Accounts Import
- Link Accounts to their Salesforce Account in Bulk
The first type of import you can complete is manually adding the account from within SalesLoft. This is best for creating single accounts at a time, so maybe when you receive a referral.
To add an account in SalesLoft, follow these steps:
- Go to the accounts page.
- Select Account Actions.
- Click Add Account.
- Enter the Domain (website) and Name of the account.
- Click Create.
You can import accounts from Salesforce, either one at a time or from a list view. Any accompanying field information will be imported based on your field configurations meaning that you don’t need to enter customized company details manually!
Things to Note: Accounts and Contacts must currently be imported into SalesLoft separately. Importing accounts will ONLY create SalesLoft accounts.
Let’s walk through the two methods to import accounts into SalesLoft and then how to complete your accounts import.
Import from a Salesforce Account Page
To import directly from the Salesforce account page, follow these steps:
- Go to the Salesforce account you would like to import.
- Click the blue Import to SalesLoft button located above the account details.
- Select Import Account.
- Complete your import.
Import from a Salesforce Account Listview
To import multiple accounts at once, navigate to an account list view in Salesforce, and click the blue Import to SalesLoft button.
For more detailed instructions, check our Salesforce User Guide.
After you select the import button in Salesforce, you'll be redirected to the SalesLoft account import page. From here, you can see a list of the accounts being imported, and any duplicate conflicts or errors.
Any data fields that have been set in your account field mapping will be brought into SalesLoft. An error page redirecting you to configure your account fields will appear if your account fields are not mapped.
If you are not an admin, you must reach out to your team admin to configure account fields. Once the fields are mapped, you can then return to Salesforce and try your import again.
Let’s break down the Complete Your Import page:
Your Accounts Import List
You accounts import list will provide the company name and domain of each account being imported.
Accounts listed in yellow have been previously added to SalesLoft. These names will automatically be unchecked, meaning they will not be included in the import. If you check the names to include them in the import, the company record will be updated with any new information.
Accounts that are shaded and contain the warning icon have errors and will not be imported. The reason for the error will be listed in the Domain column.
At the bottom of the import page, use the Add Tags field to choose from existing tags or create your own. Type in the tag you want to use and hit enter. Once you complete your import, the tag will apply to all accounts from that import list.
Assign the Owner
Team admins can select which user on your team will own the accounts being imported (only one owner can be selected during each import). If you are not an admin, the accounts default to you as the owner.
Select Finish Import and you're done! The accounts will be created in SalesLoft and automatically linked to their Salesforce accounts.
After selecting the Finish Import button, you will be redirected to the account list page in SalesLoft. You may now take actions on the accounts in bulk.
Things to Note: If you are an admin and you assigned the accounts to another user, the account list view defaults to your accounts, so you would need to adjust the filter to see the recent imports of other users.
If you have manually created an account, that SalesLoft account may not automatically be linked to its Salesforce account. With the account linking page, admins can easily manage unlinked accounts.
To link accounts to their Salesforce Account, team admins should follow these steps:
- From the accounts page, click the Account Actions button at the top right.
- Select Link Accounts.
- You will be redirected to the account linking page. This page shows all unlinked accounts in your team's SalesLoft instance. We also indicate the SalesLoft Account owner, URL, and the number of people associated with the account in SalesLoft.
- For any unlinked accounts, we automatically suggest the best match returned by a Salesforce search. The results list includes an external link to that Salesforce account so you can verify that it's the account that you want.
- To search for a new account, click on the Other text box and begin typing a keyword. We will return suggested matches from your Salesforce instance.
- If you do not wish to link the account, opt out entirely by selecting Do not link. You will move to the next page of results. Unlinked accounts will continue to show up in the account linking results each time you access the page since they are still unlinked.
- Once you have set your linking preferences, scroll to the bottom of the page. If you have more than 25 accounts that are currently not linked, hit Approve and Next to continue linking the next 25 accounts. 25 accounts will be listed per page.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until all the accounts are linked.
- Click Approve and Finish button.