SalesLoft’s Connect features let you access and perform SalesLoft functions directly from the applications you use the most, like your email or CRM.
SalesLoft Connect for Gmail improves your sales process by allowing you to view your prospect’s SalesLoft logged data and use SalesLoft’s core functionalities directly from Gmail.
In this article, you will learn all of the features available with SalesLoft Connect for Gmail, including:
- How to Install Connect for Gmail
- SalesLoft Emails within Your Gmail
- Log Email Activity to Alternative Records
- Reminders in Your Gmail
- How to Add a Person to SalesLoft from Connect for Gmail
- The SalesLoft Connect Person Profile View
- Connect for Gmail Live Feed
- How to Make Calls in Gmail
Before you can put Connect for Gmail into action, you need to install the SalesLoft Google Chrome Extension.
You have two options to install the Chrome extension:
- Download the Chrome extension from the Downloads tab under your SalesLoft personal Settings.
- For a more direct route, click the link here to download.
After the extension has been installed, refresh your browser. You will see two tabs, Emails and Reminders, across the top of your Gmail inbox. A side panel will also appear on the right side of the browser window. Welcome to Connect for Gmail!
Installing SalesLoft’s Google Chrome extension allows you to leverage SalesLoft email and templates from your Gmail account.
Things to Note: You will not be able to send emails until you have added a recipient’s email address in the “To” row.
Lofting in Gmail
The Loft It feature logs and tracks your emails in SalesLoft (and Salesforce) from Gmail.
We understand that some emails you send may not want logged into SalesLoft (like an email to a family member or coworker). For those instances, you can toggle the Lofting feature on or off within your Gmail email window.
When the toggle is turned off (and the button is gray), your emails will send just like your standard Gmail messages.
When the toggle is turned on, the toggle will turn from gray to blue and the Loft It button will appear where the Send button was previously located. With that flip of the switch, you gain access to SalesLoft specific features including the Loft It button to send and log your email, email tracking settings, templates, and snippets.
The Loft It button's primary function is to send your emails and log all the data to SalesLoft. To send SalesLoft emails using the Loft It button, follow these steps:
- Open a new message.
- Make sure the Lofting toggle is turned "on."
- Enter your email message or add a template and/or snippet to the email window.
- Control click and open tracking by selecting the icons located to the right of the Subject Line. If the icons are blue, tracking is enabled. If the icons are gray, tracking has been turned off. You can also use the Settings menu in the bottom right corner of the email window.
- Hit Loft It. The Loft it feature sends the email to the recipient and allows the email to be tracked for views, clicks, and replies via the SalesLoft platform.
To schedule the email to send in advance, follow these steps:
- Open a new message.
- Make sure the Lofting toggle is turned "on."
- To the right of the Loft It button, select the clock icon to open the schedule menu.
- Select a time, or enter a custom time to send.
- Select the time zone. You can pick either your time zone or the recipient's time zone.
- Hit Loft It.
Select the gear shift icon to open your Gmail Lofting settings. The settings include the following features:
- Lofting Preferences: Determine how you want the Lofting feature enabled. Your options include:
- Always On: Keeps the Lofting feature on.
- Always Off: Turns the Lofting feature off when you open a new email window.
- Remember Last: If you the Lofting feature was on when you last sent an email, Lofting will be enabled. If the feature was turned off when you sent the email, Lofting will be disabled.
- Click Tracking: enables click tracking for the email message.
- View Tracking: enables view tracking to keep you aware when the recipient opens the email.
Select Templates or Snippets
Add a template or snippet to an email so you use the same consistent messaging, with the added benefit of tracking metrics.
To use a template or a snippet from your Gmail, follow these steps:
1. Open a new message.
2. In the bottom right corner of the email window, select the + circle icon to open the content options.
3. Select Templates or Snippets.
4. The Insert window will open on the screen.
5. Select My or Team to choose from the person or team templates or snippets.
6. Search for the template or snippet you would like to use. You may also search based off of tags.
7. Select the template or snippet.
8. Hit Loft It.
Logging email activity to alternative records gives you complete control over which record, leads, contacts, accounts, and opportunities, an email will be logged to when Lofting an email from Gmail.
By default, when SalesLoft logs an activity, it links to one Salesforce lead or contact record based on their particular email address. But when it comes to Salesforce data, you may need to see that information on a different record or even on an alternative object.
Let's say you have multiple opportunities that relate to a Person, but only one is relevant for a particular email. Logging to an alternative record allows you to choose the exact Salesforce record where that activity will log. This will ensure your email activity history is recorded into Salesforce in whatever manner the you and your organization prefer.
Things to Note:
- This feature is available upon customer request. To enable logging to alternative records, have a team admin reach out to your SalesLoft Success Manager.
- Activity logs may also be made to custom objects. Please contact your SalesLoft Success Manager for more information.
To log email activities to different Salesforce records, follow these instructions:
- Select Compose to open a new email window. Make sure the Lofting toggle is enabled (blue).
- Enter the email address.
- A grey bar will appear beneath the Subject line of the email compose window. This bar will let you know where in Salesforce the email is going to log.
- Things to Note: In the event that there is both a Lead and a Contact in Salesforce with that email address, we select the default Salesforce record (Contact or Lead) based on the "Linking People to Salesforce" selection the team admin has selected under Salesforce Connector settings.
- There are two options to access the Edit Log to window:
- Click the Edit button on the far right of the gray bar.
- Select the Log To button on the bottom toolbar.
- The Log to pop-up window will populate any Salesforce matches tied to the record. The records will be divided between the following options:
- Name: Shows any lead or contacts records tied to the email address.
- Related To: Shows any related account or opportunity records tied to the email address.
- Click the X on the right side of a dropdown to remove the current record. Removing the record allows you to search for any Salesforce record to link to. Search and use the dropdown to find the record you're looking for.
- Select the record you want.
- Click Confirm. SalesLoft will remember the record(s) and use them as the defaults for future messages to this person (unless they are edited again).
- Send your message by hitting Loft It.
The nature of this feature requires additional usage of Salesforce API calls. The following is a summary of this additional usage:
|When a user enters a specific email address into a compose window in Gmail for the first time||
1 API call is used to find the matching Lead/Contact
|When a user opens the Log To Alternate Record pop-up window||
If the default record is a Lead
If the default record is a Contact
|When a user searches for a person in the pop-up window||
1 API call is used to search for matching Leads/Contacts.
|When a user selects a Contact from their Person search results||
2 API calls are used to find related Accounts & Opportunities
|When a user searches for a related record (Account, Opportunity, Custom Object)||
1 API call is used to find matching records
SalesLoft Reminders allow you to stay on top of your one-off events and make you sure you never miss a beat. With Connect for Gmail, you can view and complete reminders to stay on top of your non-cadence tasks. You will find your reminders in a dedicated tab at the top of of your inbox.
View a full list of your SalesLoft Reminders in the Reminders tab located above your inbox. The tab is designated by the bell icon.
When you select the tab, you will see your list of reminders, including the person’s name, the subject of the reminder, and due date. Reminders may be listed out by day, month, or view all of your reminders.
Completing a reminder is just like checking an item off of your to-do list. Once a reminder has been completed, go to the reminders tab and select the circle to virtually checking off the reminder.
Set a Reminder
To set a reminder, follow these steps:
- Open the SalesLoft Person Profile side panel in your Gmail.
- Click the Reminder icon (bell icon)below the person's name in the side panel.
- Enter a subject for the remind (something like, "Reconnect post vacation").
- Select the Due date from the calendar menu and add a time.
- Add any notes for the reminder (if applicable).
- Click Create Reminder.
The person you are emailing must be added to SalesLoft’s database in order to benefit from Connect for Gmail (or else we have no data to work with). If the person is not in SalesLoft, you can quickly add them directly from Gmail.
Follow these steps:
- Select the person’s email.
- The SalesLoft Panel will display This Person was not found in SalesLoft.
- Click the button Add to SalesLoft.
- Enter the person’s information and click Add.
Linking New People to Their Salesforce Record from Gmail
By default, when people are added to SalesLoft from Connect for Gmail, SalesLoft immediately searches for a matching record in your Salesforce instance. The unique email address searched for contacts first, followed by leads.
If a record is not found, you may link the person manually or create a new contact or lead directly from within Connect for Gmail.
Manually Link a Person to Salesforce
To manually link a person to their Salesforce lead or contact record, follow these steps:
- From the new person record, click Link to Salesforce Record.
- Possible leads and contacts matches will display for that person.
- The person's data will sync to the linked record, ensuring all of your CRM activities are captured promptly and correctly.
Creating a New Salesforce Contact from Gmail
When adding a new person from Gmail, SalesLoft can take care of the additional step to create a contact record in Salesforce. However, unlike creating a lead in Salesforce, contacts must be linked to an account record. If the new person is linked to a SalesLoft account that has a corresponding Salesforce account, we'll create the contact immediately, no problem.
For people who are not connected to an account in SalesLoft and/or Salesforce, we'll create the SalesLoft account or link the existing Salesforce account to the SalesLoft account. Upon adding the person to SalesLoft, select the appropriate Salesforce account and we'll take care of the rest.
Things to Note:
- Creating a contact does not allow users to create new accounts in Salesforce.
- Creating contacts and leads requires Salesforce Sync to be enabled for your team's account, as well as person fields to be mapped correctly.
- You must be configured as a user in Salesforce Connector settings.
Connect for Gmail gives you visibility into a SalesLoft person’s profile from a side panel within Gmail. This way you don’t need to bounce back and forth between your email and the SalesLoft platform.
By default, the side panel, known as the person profile view, will display the first person from the newest email in your inbox. As you navigate through your inbox, the side panel will automatically display the contact's SalesLoft profile.
A person's profile displays all of the familiar information and actions available in SalesLoft, including:
- Click the pencil icon to edit your contacts' information.
- View contact information and click to send a one-off email.
- Mark your contact as Do Not Contact.
- Mark your contact as a Success.
- Create Reminders by clicking the bell icon.
Connect Profile Contact Tab
Below the person’s profile information there are multiple tabs to view. The first is the Contact tab. The Contact tab shows the person’s contact information including email address, available phone numbers, and other standard information available for that contact.
Things to Note: Contact information pulls from the completed fields of the person’s SalesLoft profile.
In addition to viewing the contact info, you can take the following actions:
- Click available email addresses to send an email.
- Add tags: Tags are labels or folders that you can use to organize groups of people in SalesLoft. To add a tag, type the name of the tag in the text box and hit your enter key.
- Update the Person Stage: The person stage keeps you up-to-date with where the person is in the sales cycle. To update a person’s stage, select the Person Stage drop-down menu and pick the stage you want.
Connect Profile Cadences Tab
The Cadences tab displays information about Cadences a person is on as well as their Cadence history.
In addition to viewing the person’s Cadence history, you can also add the person to a Cadence. Select the blue Add to Cadence button. Search from My Cadences or Team Cadences in the Add to Cadence pop up window. Select the Cadence you want. If the Cadence uses A/B testing, you can select the email variant you would like that person to receive.
You can take actions on people who are active in a Cadence from the side panel, including changing the person’s Cadence due date and removing the person from the Cadence.
- Select the purple Calendar icon and pick a new date to pause the person on a Cadence.
- Remove a contact from a Cadence by selecting the red remove icon.
Connect Profile Activity Tab
The Activity tab shows all of the email, call, and Cadence activity for this contact. This is a quick way to recap all previous interactions between you and the person or between the person and any other SalesLoft user on your team.
To view the previous activities, click the Activity tab.
Connect Profile Notes Tab
The notes tab does exactly what the name says, it allows you to log notes on the person’s record in SalesLoft. When you log a note you can quickly reference it from the notes tab, or view it under recent activity. Notes even log into your Salesforce activity history with the subject line “note” for seamless logging and clarity across the platforms.
Click the Notes tab to view and add notes to this contact.
The live feed provides you with real-time alerts when your prospects interact with your emails, including viewing the email, clicking a link or replying, all directly within Gmail. To access the live feed in Connect for Gmail, navigate to the heartbeat monitor icon in top right corner of the side panel. Find out more about the live feed here.
SalesLoft’s chrome extension lets you use the dialer from wherever you work, including your Gmail. You can right-click a phone number listed within an email or select a number from the person’s profile side panel. For more information about making calls from your Gmail, visit the Dialer Everywhere article.