SalesLoft’s Connect feature lets you access and perform SalesLoft functions directly from the applications you use the most.
SalesLoft Connect for Outlook integrates the powerful functionality of SalesLoft into your Outlook application. You can Loft emails, view and insert templates, create reminders, and view a Person's SalesLoft information while engaging with your prospects directly inside of your Outlook environment.
In this article, you will learn all of the features available with SalesLoft Connect for Outlook on your Windows or Mac, including:
- Supported Versions of Outlook
- Install Connect for Outlook - Windows/Mac
- Pin the Connect Side Panel - Windows/Mac
- Send SalesLoft Emails in Outlook - Windows/Mac
- CRM Record Selection - Windows/Mac
- Reminders in Connect for Outlook - Windows/Mac
- The Person Panel in Connect for Outlook - Windows/Mac
- Disconnect the Add-in - Windows/Mac
- Troubleshooting Connect for Outlook - Windows/Mac
If you are using the Office 365 version of Outlook, learn how to use Connect for Outlook - Office 365, here.
The SalesLoft Connect feature is currently supported by certain applications and versions of Outlook. We’ve compiled a list of the approved versions of Outlook.
To learn more information on whether your Outlook client supports add-ins, and would be able to support SalesLoft Connect, check out the link here.
Connect for Outlook is supported by the following Exchange and Office 365 applications:
You may need to upgrade your Outlook to a newer version to avoid functionality disruption. If you’re not sure how to check your client version, check out these instructions.
The approved versions of Outlook include the following:
- Exchange 2013: You must be running version #CU_15 or higher.
- Outlook for Windows 13: You must be running version #15.0.4605.1003 or higher.
- Outlook for Mac 16: You must be running version # 15.35 (170509) or higher.
Before you can use SalesLoft's functionality from your Outlook on Windows or Mac, you need to install the SalesLoft Connect for Outlook add-in.
Things to Note: Security information regarding the requirements to run the add-in: We're requesting "ReadWriteMailbox" permission; it is required for communication with the customer's Exchange server using makeEwsRequestAsync method. SalesLoft's Outlook add-in is heavily dependent on it for the Lofting feature since it allows us to fetch email and attachments from the Exchange server, update email item with tracking links/pixel, and after all, send an email. You can learn more about the detailed description of permissions model.
The download process follows the same instructions as installing an add-in for Outlook 365, but the look of the application is different. Follow these steps to install the add-in on your desktop:
- Open the Add-in Store via the toolbar.
- Search for SalesLoft in the search window to bring up the SalesLoft Connect listing.
- Turn the toggle on to activate the SalesLoft add-in.
Pin the Connect Side Panel - Windows/Mac
There are two options to keep the Connect Side Panel and the Person Profile up-to-date.
First, you can click the "Open SalesLoft" button each time you open a message within your inbox. This refreshes the side panel to view the current Person's information.
Second, you can pin the SalesLoft Connect side panel in Outlook. By pinning the side panel, you ensure it always stays opened in your inbox, saving you the steps of re-opening the panel, and you can easily access important data.
Things to Note:
- You can only pin the side panel in Read mode.
- You cannot pin the side panel when composing a new email.
- This update is only available for Office 365 subscribers using Outlook 2016 or later on Windows, Outlook 2016 or later on Mac, or Outlook on the web.
To pin the side panel, open the SalesLoft Connect side panel and click the pin icon in the upper right corner.
Using the Loft It feature in Outlook logs and tracks your emails in SalesLoft (and Salesforce). If you do not wish for the email to be tracked, you can use the normal Outlook Send button to send without syncing it to SalesLoft.
To send SalesLoft emails from Outlook, follow these steps:
- Open a new message.
- Once your message is ready, hit Loft It, designated by the SalesLoft icon, on your toolbar. The Loft It feature allows the email to be tracked for opens, clicks, and replies via the SalesLoft platform.
To add a template to your Outlook emails, follow these steps:
- Open a new message.
- Click the View Templates icon in the toolbar.
- The Connect for Outlook side panel will appear. Access your personal templates and team templates via the side panel.
- Search for the template you want.
- Insert any template into a new email or reply. Dynamic tags populate automatically with the corresponding recipient’s information.
CRM Record Selection - Windows/Mac
Logging email activity to alternative records (aka CRM Record Selection) gives you complete control over which Salesforce record an email will be logged to when you send an email from your Outlook.
For more information on this feature, check out our complete explanation in the SalesLoft Activity Logging article.
Things to Note: This feature must be enabled by your team admin from the Salesforce Connector Settings. To enable logging to alternative records, reach out to your team admin to enable the feature.
To log email activities to different Salesforce records from Outlook on Windows or Mac, follow these instructions:
1. When you open an email, a grey bar will appear on the Connect side panel. The grey bar indicates which Who (Lead/Contact) and What (Account/Opportunity) record the email will be logged to in Salesforce.
- Regarding the Who: the Salesforce Lead or Contact record tied to the Person record in SalesLoft will be selected by default.
- Things to Note: In the event that there is both a Lead and a Contact in Salesforce with that email address, we select the default Salesforce record (Contact or Lead) based on the "Linking People to Salesforce" selection the team admin has selected in their Salesforce Connector Settings.
- Regarding the What: if the Person is tied to a Salesforce Contact and that Contact is related to an open Opportunity in Salesforce, that Opportunity will be selected by default. In the event there are multiple open Opportunities, the most recently modified Opportunity will be selected as the default.
2. To change either of these records, click the Edit button. The side panel will navigate to the Edit Log To page.
3. To select an alternate Lead or Contact, click the link with the number of matches in the Name field to open the list of all Lead and Contact records in Salesforce tied to the email address.
4. If none of the available options are the records you would like to log to, click the X on the right side of a dropdown to remove the current record. The name field will turn into an input field. Start typing the record you're looking for. SalesLoft will search Salesforce for any records that match.
5. To edit the Account or Opportunity information, click the link with the number of matches in the Related To field. This will open the list of all Account and Opportunity records in Salesforce related to the selected Contact. Things to Note: You are not allowed to select the Related To record if a Lead is selected in the Name field.
6. Once you confirm a Who and/or What record the first time for a Person, SalesLoft will remember the record(s) and use them as the defaults, but you will still be able to edit and change which Who and What records you want future emails to that Person to log to subsequently.
SalesLoft Reminders allow you to stay on top of your one-off events and make you sure you never miss a beat.
Within your Outlook, you can view, complete, and add reminders to stay on top of your non-cadence tasks.
You can view a full list of your SalesLoft Reminders in the Connect for Outlook side panel.
To access your list of reminders, select the View Reminders icon on your toolbar (the icon image will be a bell). The side panel will expand with the Reminders tab on display. Reminders can be filtered by day, week, month, or all, depending on what you would like to see.
Completing a reminder is just like checking an item off of your to-do list. Once a reminder has been completed, go to the Reminders tab and select the circle to virtually check off the reminder (so satisfying!).
Adding a New Reminder
Email exchanges can spark certain one-off actions that you need to take. For example, if you receive an out of office reply that a recipient is off because they just had a baby, you may want to remind yourself to send them a congratulatory gift.
You can create this new reminder directly in your Outlook. From the side panel, select the Add Reminder action. Then add a due date to complete the reminder. Hit Save.
SalesLoft Connect for Outlook gives you visibility into a SalesLoft Person Profile from a side panel within Outlook. This way you don’t need to bounce back and forth between your email and the SalesLoft platform.
Adding a Person to SalesLoft
In order to experience the benefits of SalesLoft in your Outlook, the Person you are contacting must be added to SalesLoft’s database (or else we don't have a record to log information to). If the Person is not in SalesLoft, you can quickly add them directly from Outlook.
Follow these steps:
- Select the Person’s email.
- The SalesLoft Panel will display This Person was not found in SalesLoft.
- Click the button Add to SalesLoft.
- Enter the Person’s information and click Add.
The SalesLoft Connect Person Profile View
The Person Profile view allows you to see a Person’s SalesLoft profile information from your inbox.
To look at the SalesLoft profile of the Person you’re emailing, click the SalesLoft icon in the email toolbar, then open SalesLoft.
The Person Profile view provides the following:
- People tab: Contains Person information and actions.
- Reminders tab: Manage reminders.
- Person Actions: Three-dot menu where you can mark a Person as a success and edit their profile information.
- Person’s Name
- Person’s Role
- Person’s Account
- Company URL
- Person Stats: Up-to-date metrics on your team’s engagement with this Person.
- Contact Info tab: View and edit contact information, update the Cadence stage, and add tags.
- Cadences tab: See Cadence history and add the Person to Cadence.
- Activity tab: View their activity history.
- Notes tab: Read past notes and create new notes.
Edit a Person's Profile Information
If you receive an email that contains a new phone number or updated contact information, you can update that Person’s SalesLoft profile directly from Outlook. Follow these instructions to edit profile information:
- Click the three-dot menu towards the upper right of the Person’s name.
- Select Edit.
- In the Edit Person tab, enter the updated information.
- Click Save Person.
Connect Profile Contact Tab
Below the Person’s profile information, you will see multiple tabs. The first is the Contact tab. The Contact tab shows the Person’s contact information.
Things to Note: Contact information pulls from the completed fields of the Person’s SalesLoft profile.
In addition to viewing the contact info, you can take the following actions:
- Click available email addresses to send an email.
- Add Tags: Tags are labels or folders that you can use to organize groups of People in SalesLoft. To add a tag, type the name of the tag in the text box and hit your enter key.
- Update the Cadence Stage: The Cadence stage keeps you up-to-date with where the Person is in the sales cycle. To update a Person’s stage, select the Cadence Stage dropdown menu and pick the stage you want.
Connect Profile Cadences Tab
The Cadences tab displays information about Cadences a Person is on as well as their Cadence history.
In addition to viewing the Person’s Cadence history, you can also add the Person to a Cadence. Select the blue Add to Cadence button. Search from My Cadences or Team Cadences in the Add to Cadence pop-up window. Select the Cadence you want.
Connect Profile Activity Tab
The Activity tab shows all of the email, call, and Cadence activity for this Person. This is a quick way to recap all previous interactions between you and the Person or between the Person and any other SalesLoft user on your team.
To view the previous activities, click the Activity tab.
Connect Profile Notes Tab
The Notes tab does exactly what the name says. It allows you to log notes on the Person’s record in SalesLoft. When you log a note you can quickly reference it from the Notes tab, or view it under Recent Activity. Notes even log into your Salesforce activity history with the subject line “note” for seamless logging and clarity across the platforms.
Click the Notes tab to view and add notes to this Person.
To disconnect the SalesLoft Connect for Outlook add-in from Windows or Mac, follow these steps:
- Go to your Outlook Store. This should be an icon in your top navigation toolbar.
- From the Add-Ins for Outlook window, select My add-ins on the left-hand side.
- Find the SalesLoft Connect add-in from your list.
- Select the ellipses icon (three dots) in the bottom right corner of the SalesLoft Connect add-in.
- Click Remove.
- The add-in will be removed from your Outlook, but will remain in your list of add-ins within the store. If you want to re-enable the add-in after removing it, select the Add button on the SalesLoft Connect add-in tile.
When you integrate different software applications, it’s possible to run into technical issues between the two applications. Below are some common problems you might encounter with Connect for Outlook, along with some tips and resources to help you troubleshoot.
Can’t Install from Store
The users might not have access/permission to download apps. Verify with your IT team that you have permission to download apps.
Buttons Disabled in Compose Window Only
Connect for Outlook allows you to access templates and send emails (Loft It) from your Outlook. But if the SalesLoft-specific icons appear greyed out and you can’t click them, they have been disabled.
For Outlook in Windows or Mac, try the following solutions:
- Save the message as a draft, close the message, and reopen it.
- Remove other COM add-ins, specifically GlobalMeet and ToDoist.
- Remove the Antivirus add-in.
Check these additional resources to learn more:
- Microsoft Answers: Add-ins greyed out
- Stack Overflow: Outlook Add-in command button disabled when composing
The Person (side) Panel Won't Load
If you cannot access the Person side panel in Connect for Outlook, it may be due to an out-of-date internet browser (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.).
Even in a desktop application, the sidebar is still using a browser underneath to render the data. The user must have Internet Explorer (IE) 11 or Edge if they are on Windows. There is an IE11 version for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
Things to Note: Windows 8 will not work, it must be upgraded to 8.1.