Along with syncing to your team’s Salesforce account, the CRM Sync Settings allow you to set Salesforce rules that will apply to your team.
In this article, you will learn about additional settings to manage your team's Salesforce to SalesLoft integration, including:
- Activity Logging Settings
- Linking SalesLoft People to Salesforce
- Owner Sync Settings
- Specific CRM Tasks Record Type
- CRM Record Selection
Any activity logged in SalesLoft also logs in Salesforce by default. If you would like to disable logging a specific type of activity or all activity for any reason, you can. Follow the instructions below to disable activity logging.
- Navigate to CRM Sync in your Team Settings and go to the Settings tab.
- Under Activity Logging you will see checkboxes next to the following options:
- Email Logging
- Reply Logging
- Call Logging
- Other Step Logging
- Integration Step Logging
- Note Logging
- Meeting Logging
- Log Meeting as an Event
- Log Meeting as a Task
When a Person is added to SalesLoft manually or from a CSV file, their record needs to be linked to their Lead or Contact record in Salesforce so their activity logs correctly. SalesLoft will check the user’s Salesforce instance for the Person’s record based off of the settings designated under Linking People to Salesforce.
There are four options to link People to Salesforce:
- Contact, fallback to Lead (Default): SalesLoft will search for a matching Contact record first. If a Contact does not match, we will scan the Lead records. We recommend this linking method when the majority of People records in your Salesforce fall under Contacts, but you also use Leads.
- Lead, fallback to Contact: SalesLoft will search for a matching Lead record first. If a Lead does not match, we will scan the Contact records. We recommend this linking method when most People records in your Salesforce fall under Leads, but occasionally you use Contacts.
- Contact: SalesLoft will only search Contact records to link. Use this method if you only work with Contacts.
- Lead: SalesLoft will only search Lead records to link. Use this method if you only work with Leads.
- Do not link: SalesLoft will not scan Salesforce and will not link any records. If you attempt to link a record, the linking will not occur. We only recommend this option if you are not using Salesforce and do not require linking at all.
Ownership in Salesforce determines which Salesforce user manages Accounts, Contacts, Leads, etc. While ownership in SalesLoft doesn't hold the same restrictions, it may be helpful to have the Accounts and People in SalesLoft owned by the same user across both systems. This will make it easy for a user to sync up their data and activity logs to their Salesforce records.
In order to keep ownership aligned across both systems, a SalesLoft admin may enable owner sync.
Things to Note:
- Owner Crm Id should be mapped on the Person and Account levels before selecting this option.
- If you only want ownership changes from Salesforce to apply to your records, do not select the Owner Sync setting. Create an automation rule to match SalesLoft owner to Salesforce owner instead.
To enable owner sync, select the checkbox for When ownership changes in either CRM or SalesLoft, reflect that change in the other platform.
Specific CRM Tasks Record Type
CRM record types allow admins to offer specific processes, picklist options, and even entire layouts to different users based on the needs of their organization.
From your CRM Sync Settings, you can specify a CRM task record type, to keep the data to your CRM clear, clean, and consistent. When this feature is enabled, SalesLoft activities will log as a specific record type in Salesforce.
Things to Note:
- Please keep in mind, the name of the record type is set by your organization in Salesforce.
- Before you can set a CRM record type, you must have a record type in Salesforce. You (or a Salesforce Admin) can set up a new record type using the Salesforce Object Manager.
- Make sure you verify this ID to avoid an invalid value error. You can find the ID from the Salesforce URL.The 15 alphanumeric characters found between "jsp?id=" and "&type=" constitute the Salesforce ID of the record type. For example: https://na1.salesforce.com/setup/ui/recordtypefields.jsp?id=012300000012BYN&type= (in this example, the ID is 012300000012BYN)
- You can use either the 15- or 18-digit ID.
To set up a CRM task record type, follow these steps:
- As an admin, go to the CRM Sync Settings page located in the Data Settings.
- Select the Settings tab.
- At the bottom of the Settings tab, select the Specify a record type for SalesLoft activity to log to Salesforce checkbox.
- Enter the record type ID.
- Click Save.
- Things to Note: SalesLoft will warn you if the ID entered is not valid.
Please note that the following errors can occur if the record types are not configured properly.
Failing Salesforce activities:
SalesLoft error Message
|Record Type ID is an invalid value||Task Record Type ID (ID: XXXXXXXX) is the incorrect length or contains invalid characters per CRM field requirements.|
|Record Type is inactive||Task Record Type ID (ID: XXXXXXXX) is invalid because this Record Type object has been deleted or you do not have access.|
|Record Type is not accessible to user||Task Record Type ID (ID: XXXXXXXX) is invalid because this Record Type object has been deleted or you do not have access.|
|Record Type is deleted||Task Record Type ID (ID: XXXXXXXX) is invalid because this Record Type object has been deleted or you do not have access.|
The CRM Record Selection tab is where you may enable your team to log activities to alternative Salesforce records.
Things to Note:
- Logging to alternative records is available in the SalesLoft application, using SalesLoft Connect for Gmail, SalesLoft Connect for Outlook - Windows for Desktop and Mac, and SalesLoft Connect for Outlook - Office 365 Online.
- Enabling this feature increases the number of API calls made to Salesforce.
Once this feature is enabled, your team may choose the Lead, Contact, Account, or Opportunity record that the activity will log to.
To enable CRM record selection, follow these steps:
- Navigate to CRM Sync in your Admin Settings.
- Go to the CRM Record Selection tab.
- When the feature is off, the toggle will appear gray and the text will say Manual CRM Record Selection is disabled.
- Click the toggle to enable the feature. The button will change from gray to blue and the text will now read Manual CRM Record Selection is enabled.