To most people in business, an owned record is the account or customer that you are in charge of. SalesLoft offers the Person and Account Owner field in order to convey similar information.
While the idea of ownership seems simple enough, things become a little more complex when you transfer ownership between different users or between your engagement platform (SalesLoft) and your CRM (Salesforce).
In this article, you will learn what ownership means in the different platforms and how they can be managed, including:
- SalesLoft Owner
- Options for Updating the SalesLoft Owner
- Salesforce Owner
- How the Salesforce Owner Is Determined
The SalesLoft Owner is, simply, the SalesLoft user who owns a Person or Account in SalesLoft. If someone is the SalesLoft Owner of a Person record in SalesLoft, that Person will appear under the Owner's People list view by default.
The SalesLoft Owner is determined based on one of the following factors:
- A Person is imported via Salesforce List, Report, Campaign, or CSV: The SalesLoft Owner will be the user who imports the record.
- A Person is imported as a one-off record from Salesforce: The SalesLoft Owner will be the user who imports the record.
- A Person is created in SalesLoft via an Automation Rule: The SalesLoft Owner will be the same as the Salesforce Owner.
- Things to Note: Your team must have CRM Owner ID mapped and user must be mapped in Salesforce Connector User Management.
- In the event that the CRM Owner ID is not mapped, user management is not set up, or the Salesforce Owner is not a SalesLoft User, the Owner will be the Salesforce Connector Integration User.
While the SalesLoft Owner is typically determined upon import, there are ways to edit the field to a different SalesLoft user. Some reasons you may want to update SalesLoft ownership include:
- Sales rep transferring ownership to an account or sales executive.
- A sales rep transferring to another SDR or BDR.
- Salesforce ownership updates and SalesLoft needs to replicate the ownership.
- A SalesLoft user leaves the company, and their records need to be transferred to a different user.
To manually update SalesLoft Owner from a Person Record, update the SalesLoft Owner when editing a Person Record in SalesLoft from the Person's Profile page.
To manually update SalesLoft Owner for multiple Person Records at the same time, update the SalesLoft Owner from the Person list view. Here you can select multiple Person Records and update their SalesLoft Owner en masse.
Finally, you can update the SalesLoft Owner via Automation Rules. There are two actions to update the SalesLoft Owner using a SalesLoft Automation Rule:
- Set SalesLoft Owner to Salesforce Owner: When this action fires, it updates the SalesLoft Owner to the Salesforce Owner.
- Things to Note: Based on CRM Owner ID & User Management mapping in the Salesforce Connector.
- Set Person Field “SalesLoft Owner”: This action allows an admin to select a specific SalesLoft user from a dropdown menu. When a record matches a rule with this action, their SalesLoft Owner will be updated to the SalesLoft user defined in the rule action.
The Salesforce Owner is the Salesforce user that owns a Lead or Contact in Salesforce. Salesforce ownership means that any tasks or Opportunities that align to that record are assigned to the Owner.
When a Salesforce Owner has a Lead or Contact imported into SalesLoft, that record syncs with a SalesLoft Person Record. The Owner of the record may also sync to SalesLoft. This is determined by the Owner CRM ID field on the Person mapping table in SalesLoft.
Things to Note: This requires SalesLoft User Management mapping in the Salesforce Connector for all users.
- Additional Ownership fields include:
Salesforce Owner (Account): The Salesforce Account Owner. This is based on the Owner CRM ID field and also requires the Account Owner be mapped in User Management in SalesLoft.
- Salesforce Owner (Opportunity): The Salesforce Opportunity Owner. This is based on the Owner CRM ID field and also requires the Opportunity Owner be mapped in User Management in SalesLoft.
The Salesforce Owner is determined by the following data points:
- CRM Owner ID mapped in SalesLoft field configuration (Lead, Contact, Account, Opportunity)
- Things to Note: This can be ANY User lookup field in Salesforce.
- The SalesLoft user must be mapped to a Salesforce Username (Salesforce Connector - User Management) in order for the SalesLoft Owner to be populated.
- Things to Note: If the Salesforce Owner is not mapped in User Management, the Salesforce Owner will be displayed as "Unmapped Owner" in SalesLoft.
- If the Salesforce Owner changes in Salesforce, the Salesforce Owner will automatically update in SalesLoft as well.
- Things to Note: In order to show the correct user, User Management configuration is required.