Lead or Contact data align to the SalesLoft Person fields. The Lead or Contact data transfers to and from SalesLoft during an import from Salesforce into SalesLoft and during a sync update. But before any of these data transfers can take place, the SalesLoft Person fields need to be mapped to the appropriate Salesforce Lead or Contact fields.
Things to Note: SalesLoft does not assign default mapping for your fields. If you wish to have your data sync between the two platforms, you must set the mapping for any/all fields.
Any SalesLoft admin or user with field configuration permissions can complete the Person field configuration. To access the Person field configuration, go to the Field Configuration tab under your Team Settings.
You will complete your Person field configuration from the Person Field tab. Here you can edit field mapping preferences and add custom fields to map to default fields and Salesforce fields that do not exist in SalesLoft.
Each Person field has Salesforce Lead and Salesforce Contact columns. After you map fields, the Salesforce column will show the Salesforce field API name, field type, and sync direction that was selected for the mapped SalesLoft field.
In this article, you will learn all about Person field configuration between SalesLoft and Salesforce, including:
- Person Field Mapping
- Recommended Person Fields
- Most Recent Cadence Fields
- Do Not Message Fields
- Add a Custom Person Field
Now the real fun begins. Let’s get to mapping those fields!
Person and Account field mapping uses the same process with a slightly different layout.
Follow the instructions below to map your fields. For this example, we will map the First Name Person field:
- Connect SalesLoft to your Salesforce Main Connector account or a Salesforce Sandbox.
- Navigate to the Field Configuration tab under your Team Settings.
- Under the Person Fields tab, scroll down the list of SalesLoft Person Field Names and find the First Name. If you cannot find the field name in your list, you will need to create a custom field.
- Click the ellipses on the First Name line
- From the dropdown menu, select Edit Mapping.
- Check the box for each Salesforce object type that you want to map to. Your options include:
- Salesforce Leads
- Salesforce Contacts
- Both: select both boxes
- Once you check the Salesforce Object Type box, your Salesforce Field options will appear. Next to the Salesforce Field Name, use the dropdown picklist to find the Salesforce field you wish to map to.
- Select the Salesforce Field Name. The Salesforce API Name and Field Type will populate once the Salesforce Field Name is selected.
- Set the Direction. The direction says how the field will be updated.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps 4-10 for any additional fields you’d like to map, selecting the Salesforce field and the sync direction for each.
If you've taken a look at the Field Configuration tab on a Person or Accounts Details page, you know there are a lot of fields available to you. So you are possibly wondering what do some of these fields mean and, more importantly, which ones do you need to map?
The rule of thumb is to complete your field configuration based on the information and data your team values the most.
However, for those of you who would like a data launching point, here are the SalesLoft Person fields we recommend you map to the appropriate Salesforce Lead and/or Contact field:
|Person Field Name||Salesforce Lead Field Name||Salesforce Contact Field Name||Field Type||Description|
|Account CRM ID||N/A||AccountId||Reference||Allows SalesLoft to identify which Salesforce accounts match which SalesLoft accounts. This field maps to the “Account ID” field on Contacts only.|
|Country||Country||MailingCountry||String||This field contributes to SalesLoft's timezone detection feature. Things to Note: Configure the full country name, rather than the two letter ISO-3116 Country Field.|
|Do Not Contact|
|Owner CRM ID||OwnerId||OwnerId||Reference||Allows SalesLoft to identify the Lead, Contact, and Account object owners, based on the Salesforce user matches set under the User Management section.This field must be set to use any automation rulesassociated with owner changes in SalesLoft or Salesforce|
|Person Stage||Cadence Stage||Picklist|
|Phone||Phone||Phone (Business Phone)||Phone Number|
|Do Not Call||DoNotCall||DoNotCall||Boolean||If you would like to respect your Do Not Call permission set by the standard Lead field in Salesforce, we recommend mapping this field to SalesLoft.|
|Do Not Email||HasOptedOutOfEmail||HasOptedOutOfEmail||Boolean||If you would like to respect your Do Not Email permission set by the standard Lead field in Salesforce, we recommend mapping this field to SalesLoft.|
The SalesLoft person fields contain six Cadence specific fields. Mapping these fields allows your team to view SalesLoft Cadence information inside of Salesforce. Based off of this data, managers can use Salesforce to report on the Cadence activities of each team member.
SalesLoft Tip: The most recent Cadence specific field data is not displayed on the Person record in SalesLoft.
To map these fields, you or a Salesforce Admin will need to modify or create custom fields in your Salesforce. For example, you may want to create a "Cadence ID" field on the lead record that will map to the Most Recent Cadence - Cadence ID SalesLoft field.
The Cadence fields map to the following field types:
- Most Recent Cadence - Cadence ID: text field
- Most Recent Cadence - Cadence Name: text field
- Most Recent Cadence - Last Completed Step: number field
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step: number field
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step Due Date: date field
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step Name: text field
After your field mapping is complete, these fields will update when:
- A person is added to a Cadence
- A person is removed from a Cadence
- A step in a Cadence is completed on a person
- A person completes all steps in a Cadence
Things to Note: When a person is removed from a Cadence or completes a Cadence, the following field values will be cleared out automatically:
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step Due Date
- Most Recent Cadence - Next Step Name
Do Not Message Fields
Contact restrictions include "Do Not Message" options available from SalesLoft. By syncing these contact restrictions with fields in your CRM, you ensure that your CRM remains your source of truth.
This is why SalesLoft has included Do No Message Field on the Person level in your SalesLoft Field Configuration. The fields include the following options:
- Do Not Call
- Do Not Contact
- Do Not Email
- Do Not Message
If you're curious why you may want to use a specific contact restriction, versus a general "Do Not Contact," allow us to provide a use case for restricting text messaging. Texting is heavily regulated and is opt-in only. If a Person opts out of a text message, you may still email them or call them, but messaging will be disabled with SalesLoft's Do Not Message contact restriction.
The standardized, "out-of-the-box" field names that exist for all SalesLoft teams are known as default fields. However, we at SalesLoft know that your team's use case may go beyond our default field names. So, SalesLoft allows team admins to create your own custom fields in order to map and display record data.
You can create custom fields for each Lead or Contact field and set them to be mapped to and from Salesforce.
Things to Note: Any custom fields that are created can be used as a dynamic field.
To create a custom field, follow the instructions listed below:
- Navigate to the right side of your screen, and click the + Add Custom Field button.
- The New Custom Field Mapping box will appear. Fill in the name of your custom field in the SalesLoft Field Name text box.
- Select the SalesLoft Field Type from the dropdown menu. You may select one of the following options:
- Date: Adds a date picker field on the SalesLoft Person. This means you can select a calendar date when updating the SalesLoft field. If the field is mapped to Salesforce, it can be mapped to similar date fields (aka date fields that mimic the date format mm/dd/yyyy).
- Text: Add a text field to update Person information. If the field is mapped to Salesforce, whatever information that is entered in the text field will update to Salesforce.
- Select the Salesforce Object you wish to map to (if applicable) .
- Pick the Salesforce Field Name.
- Chose the sync direction, just as you did with the default fields above.
- Hit Save.
- Once you have added the custom field, the field will appear in the Person fields list with an asterisk next to the field name.