The Cadence Overview page shows the complete outline of your Cadence’s layout including the days, steps, templates, and instructions that compose your Cadence.
Whenever you create a Cadence or when you access a Cadence from the Cadence tab, you will be taken to the Cadence Overview page.
In this article, we will break down the Cadence Overview page, including:
- People Actions on the Cadence Overview Page
- Cadence Actions
- Cadence Stats
- "Cadence Day" Definition
- Add a Cadence Step
- Edit a Cadence Step
- Cadence Step Types
- People Active in Cadence Step
- Variant Actions
People Actions on the Cadence Overview Page
The People Actions button opens a dropdown menu so you can add or export People to the Cadence.
Let's walk through the available People Actions
Allows to you manually add a person to Cadence. If the Person does not already exist in SalesLoft, you can add them there as well.
To add a Person from the Cadence Overview page, follow these steps:
- Go to the Cadence Overview page. Click People Actions to open the menu.
- Select Add Person.
- Search for the Person if they have already been added to SalesLoft. Once you select the Person's name, they will be added to Step 1 of the Cadence.
- If the Person has not been added, click the Create Person link. The module will change to the Add New Person to Cadence module. Fill in the applicable information. Click Create and Add to Cadence to complete the process.
Import from a CSV
Import a list of individuals from a CSV file to SalesLoft and the Cadence.
SalesLoft will suggest the Cadence you were viewing as the default when you select Finish Import and Add to Cadence.
For instructions on how to import People from a CSV, check our Import People from a CSV article.
Import From Salesforce
Imports from Salesforce happen within the Salesforce platform. For more information and a complete walkthrough of how to import from Salesforce, please check out our Imports from Salesforce article.
Select the Import from Salesforce button to view instructions on how to complete an import from Salesforce.
Select Export People to create a downloadable CSV file of the People who are currently working or who have previously completed the Cadence.
When you click Export People a notification will pop up informing you that the export will be delivered to your email address shortly.
The Cadence actions dropdown menu provides different functions you can perform within the individual Cadence. Let's walk through each available Cadence action.
Create an additional step in the Cadence. Clicking Add Step will open the Create Step module where you can add specific steps.
Creates a downloadable CSV file of Cadence specific information include steps and metrics.
If you edit a Cadence or simply hate the name that you originally came up with, you can change it with the Rename Cadence action.
To change the name of a Cadence from the Cadence Overview Page, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Cadence Overview Page and click Cadence Actions.
- Select Rename. The Rename Cadence Module will appear.
- Type the new name in the available text box.
- Click Save. The name of the Cadence will change.
If the Cadence you are viewing seems like a great foundation to build a second Cadence off of, you can copy the Cadence from the Cadence Overview Page (or the Cadences Page.)
Copying a cadence will copy all of the steps including email templates, but will not copy any of the people in the cadence.
To copy a Cadence from the Cadence Overview Page, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Cadence Overview Page and click Cadence Actions.
- Select Copy. The Copy Cadence Module will appear.
- In the first text box, enter the Name of Cadence Copy. This will be the title of the newly created Cadence.
- Confirm the Cadence Owner. To change the owner, click the Owner name and scroll through the SalesLoft users.
- Things to Note: SalesLoft will default the user creating the Cadence as the owner.
- Cadence Owner can be chosen for users who have the Manage Cadences Ownership Permission. Users who do not have this Permission will be assigned as the Cadence owner automatically.
- Click Save Cadence to confirm you want to copy the Cadence.
- The Cadence is copied! Now you can adjust any settings of the Cadence, add People, and run the Cadence yourself.
Below the Cadence toolbar, you will see the Cadence stats. These numbers reflect the comprehensive activity of the Cadence. The stats include:
- Calls: Number of calls logged in the Cadence.
- Emails: Number of emails sent in the Cadence.
- Bounces: Number of emails that have bounced in the Cadence.
- Opens: Number of emails that have been opened from the Cadence.
- Clicks: Number of emails that contain links that have been clicked from the Cadence.
- Replies: Number of emails that have been replied to from the Cadence.
"Cadence Day" Definition
Whenever you create a Cadence, you pick the day your steps will run once a person has been added to the Cadence.
To clarify, this doesn't mean a specific date or day of the week, but the number of days that pass between the start of the Cadence and when that step will occur.
For example, you create a Cadence with a step on Day 1 followed by another on Day 3. Let's say you add people to that Cadence on a Monday. The first step (Day 1) will run on Monday and the second step (Day 3) will run on Wednesday. Now, if you were to add people to the Cadence on Tuesday, the first step would run on Tuesday and the second would run on Thursday.
Things to Note: Cadences run on a weekday-only schedule. So, using the above example, if you start a Cadence on Friday, the first step would run Friday and the second would run Tuesday of the following week. Enjoy your weekend!
Add a Cadence Step
After a Cadence has been created, there are multiple places on the Overview page you can use to add another step to the Cadence.
In the upper right corner of the Cadence Overview page, you will find the Cadence Actions dropdown. The first option in the menu is the Add Step button.
"Add Step" Over the Step Details
On the right side of the Cadence day information, above your Cadence step details, you will see an Add Step link. Click the link to open the Create Step module.
Bottom of the Page
If you go to the very bottom of the Cadence Overview page, you will find an Add Step button. This button is especially useful if you are reviewing your Cadence and think more steps should be added after your last action.
Edit a Cadence Step
Editing a Cadence step means that you are changing the settings of and existing Cadence step. These edits include:
- Changing the step day.
- Automating the step (email steps only, with the automation permission).
It's important to note that editing a step does not mean you are changing the content of the step. You can change content with the Edit Variant option.
To edit a step, follow these steps:
- Go to the Cadence Overview page. Find the step you with to edit.
- In the upper right corner of the step, click Edit Step. The Edit Step module will appear.
- Enter the day number or use the up/down arrows to select a number.
- If you are editing an email step, you can select or deselect Automate this step if you would like to enable an automatic email step in the Cadence.
- Select one of the following options:
- Cancel: Go back to the Cadence Overview page without making edits.
- Delete: Deletes the Cadence step
- Save: Saves any edits you have made in the Cadence.
Cadence Step Types
Your Cadence breaks down into the day you will run a task and the number of steps within the Cadence. This allows you to complete multiple steps on the same day. In your Cadence layout, the step day and number will appear as Step #: Type
Your Cadence steps are the tasks or actions you will take within your Cadence. There are multiple types of steps you can have within your Cadence and each step view varies depending on a step. The steps are listed out as follows:
|Email Step||Designated by the Purple envelope icon.|
The Email step includes the following details:
- Template Details:
- Name: Each email used will have a designated name. If the email is a saved template, using the template will contribute to template specific stats.
- Template Labels: Right next to your template you may see a boxed template label. The labels include the following:
- Saved (green): Saved templates were either chosen from your template list or were composed while creating your Cadence and saved later. Either way, a saved template gathers metrics and can be used in other Cadences and one-off emails.
- Team (orange): Any templates used within your Cadence that are saved as Team Templates.
- Email Stats: Comprehensive breakdown of the email stats specific to this Cadence step
- Sent: Total number of emails sent using this Cadence steps.
- Views: Percentage of emails views over the number of emails sent.
- Clicks: Percentage of emails that contain links that were clicked over the number of emails sent.
- Replies: Percentage of emails that received replies over the number of emails sent.
|Phone Step||Designated by the green phone icon.|
The Phone step includes the following details:
- Phone Step Name: Designated name of the phone step. Common examples include, “Intro Call,” “Follow up Call,” “Call + Voicemail.”
- Instructions: Written out instructions on what should take place on your calls.
- Calls Made: the Total number of calls made while running this Cadence step.
|Other Step||Designated by the orange checkbox icon.|
The Other step includes the following details:
- Other Step Name: Designated name of the Other step. Since your other step is any recurring action you want to take within your Cadence, outside of emails and calls, the name will let you know what action to take. Common examples include, “LinkedIn Follow,” “Handwritten note,” “Send Cupcakes.”
- Instructions: Written out instructions on what should take place for your other step.
People Active in Cadence Step
Below each step details, you will see the following labels. They will breakdown the number of people currently active in the Cadence.
- Scheduled: Specifically for email steps. People who have had emails scheduled for a later time, whether it be in the next hour or maybe another day.
- Due: People that are to be run on that calendar day. These people will show up in your Cadences To Do list on the dashboard.
- In Progress: People that are on the step but the step is not due yet.
When a label displays a number greater than zero, click the label to run that Cadence step.
The ellipses icon (three dots) on the right side of your Cadence step details opens the variant actions drop down menu.
Each Cadence step is considered a variant, meaning it is a version of that step that will collect data.
Variants allow you to use A/B testing and experiment with different types of messages. For more information on the variant actions and A/B testing, please check out our Edit a Cadence article.